Friday, March 13, 2009

liberal month

So I am a bit biased towards conservatism. However. I thought I'd better listen to the other side for a while. For the next month my truck satellite radio will be set to America Left. In the last two days I haven't heard anyone put forth any reasonable, data-driven arguments, other than the need for better regulation and oversight of the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Today I heard lots of talk about the Employee Freedom of Choice Act, and how it MUST be passed to protect American workers. What I don't understand is what data is being used to support the fact that it WILL support American workers. I believe the opposite is true, and it will lead to fewer American jobs.

Being in management, I might be biased slightly anti-union. But there is a reason for this, and data to support this. I respect employees, and any good company does the same, union or not. Unfortunately, most of what I see out of a union is their attempts to do less work for more money, and their protection of poor performance. This is supported over and over again by the increasing inability of US and Canadian manufacturing to compete worldwide. There is a huge empty factory in the town in which I am working that stands as a monument to union achievement. (on the other side of the coin, I am sure there are non-union companies out there that do not respect their employees, and for them I have no sympathy should their workforce organize)

I do think if a union is truly interested in the success of a company, they can be a positive force, and they keep management and their own union members accountable. I have no problem with this, and in fact I welcome it. But that doesn't seem to be the norm.

I will continue to listen patiently to America Left.... maybe someone will present some data that shows more union power = more competitiveness globally, and will lead to more American jobs.

1 Comments:

Blogger BB said...

You are very brave for listening to left-wing radio for a month. You will have to give us an update when you complete your assignment.

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home