Monday, October 31, 2005

a hard drive

Had some success. The other day, our main Sony desktop 'puter, with all the crap on it (as opposed to the three laptops that we actually use) scared me. I had to restart it to update it or something, and it burped and told me it couldn't find a bootable disc. YIKES!!. Restarted and it did it again!! Restarted and it fired up. I think perhaps after three years of constant running, the hard drive might be getting tired. But the Sony is our 'dial up internet gateway' using Microsoft Internet Sharing, so it needs to work. Not to mention all the video files, picture files, music files, etc that end up there, rather than spread all over three laptops.

We were in the big city the other day (Burlington, Iowa) and so I popped into Staples and bought a new Maxtor 200Gig ATA hard drive to replace the potentially failing 120Gig Seagate unit in the aforementioned Sony. Also bought Norton Ghost 'cuz I'd read it worked well to transfer one drive to another.

Didn't need the Ghost. Not to mention the instructions included with the Ghost are just vague enough to be dangerous. The software that came with the Maxtor drive did the job just fine, except.....

The original drive had 2 primary partitions, and one logical partition (its a Sony thing....). Maxtor took the C: partition, copied it to the new drive, and called the whole 200G drive the C: drive. So I've still got work to do. All the stuff that was on the D: and G: partitions are still on the old drive. I left the old drive in as a slave, so I can still access the files, but I'll have to spend some quality time rearranging things, such that the files aren't stuck on a drive that might fail. In the meantime, while the old drive works, I now have 320Gb of storage available on the Sony. (plus the 80Gb on this laptop, the 80Gb on #1 son's laptop, and the 40Gb on #2 son's, oh...and don't forget the 60Gb on my Linux box, hidden in the back room) That's a total of 580Gb of storage available in the house. Well, not including the 40Gb available on the 2 iPods and the 5Gb on the iRiver. Kewl, lets fill it up.

What fun. In the middle of all this computer stuff last evening, we went trick or treatin' in the lovely little town of Donnellson. Even more fun.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry - can you speak English? ;0)

Joy

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home