Sunday, February 05, 2006

I don't get it

So, today was Superbowl Day. I figured that somewhere on the 300 satellite channels I pay a huge chunk of money for each month, there would be a broadcast of the Superbowl.

I was wrong.

Apparently, we are not permitted by the FCC to receive ABC network programming by satellite transmission. Curious, that is, considering the nearest local broadcaster is 47 miles away. KTVO out of Kirksville MO does not have the equipment to broadcast via satellite, and they won't give permission to allow other broadcasts of ABC in their 'market'. As I understand it, at any rate. I could ask Dish Network to submit waivers on my behalf, and should the TV gods smile upon me, I may (repeat MAY) be granted special dispensation to watch a large market (New York, Chicago, Atlanta, LA, etc) broadcast of an ABC network.

Long story short, NO superbowl on our TV.

Or so I thought.......

My son and I went on a trek to the local Lowe's (45 miles away) and there I found a nice television antenna, that gets mounted outside up high somewhere. (remember TV antennas?....they are soooo quaint). We had such a device here at the house when we moved in, but it blew over one day, and having never used it, we didn't replace it. (shows you how important ABC network is, eh?? We didn't miss it for 8 months)

I installed said quaint antenna as shown below.



And Voila!!!! We had ABC on the TV, looking not bad at all.



So, we got to see the Superbowl after all! Pittsburgh won, like I knew they would.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

ALOT of work for a football game?!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Joyce Marks said...

Ok that is it....I am blocking ESPN from my television in protest for you Jamie. It's a big sacrifice on my part but I am willing to do it! ;) lol

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home