Sunday, February 12, 2006

Confused again

I've been doing some reading about high speed internet 'penetration' rates, among users of the internet.

In the short time I've done some googling, I've found many different references, with varying information.

One thing seems clear. It would appear that at least as of mid-year 2005, the 'penetration rate' or number of internet users connected with a highspeed connection was in the neighborhood of 50%. Another chart suggested that about 11.4 people per 100 had access to a high speed connection.

So, lets suppose there has been a boom in subscription in the last 6-8 months, and high speed penetration is at a whopping 65% of internet users. With about 60% of the US population using the internet, that leaves somewhere in the neighbourhood of 80 million people accessing the internet via dialup.

So, now on to why I am confused. Almost every website to where one navigates is much more bandwidth intensive than is advisable when using dial up. Why, for the sake of the 80 MILLION people who don't have, or CAN'T GET highspeed internet, don't we have available an alternate page??? A 'slowpoke' site, as it were? But no, we are outcasts.

I just don't understand.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I feel bad for you now... I take back all those mean things I said about you not having high speed.

It IS annoying.... I do my property evaluations online... and I have to have high speed to do it.... so then... if I ever get to the point where I can afford to buy a house again.... I'm limited to buying a home where high speed internet is available.... stupid eh?? ( I mean...huh???)

9:28 PM  
Blogger Joyce Marks said...

Remember back when I had the dial up and you had the high speed? All I can say now is HA! ;)

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home