Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Dryer's Broke

Got a call at work. My cellphone buzzed and it was my dear wife. She said "the dryer's broke". (well, she was more articulate than that, but I am allowed to paraphrase cuz this is MY blog)

This is the dryer that's broke. Note the note. There's a button you push and the dryer starts doing its dryerly thing, drying stuff.

Only in this case, when you push the dadgum button, the dryer starts, then immediately stops when you let go of the dadgum button. And furthermore, lest you are thinking 'well why not just tape over the button to dry the clothes?', the heating element doesn't fire up while you are holding the button.

So, I did the obvious checkup. Tested the power to the unit, and dug out the troubleshooting manual from the back of the unit.

I stared at the schematic for a while, and I do believe I know what's broke. The symptoms fit a busted motor relay. (or it could be the electronic control, although I don't think so). Nothin' I can fix without a lot of swearing and collateral damage.



The dryer is only 8 months old, so Sears is gonna fixit. Of course, they can't fixit until Friday. Good thing we have a clothesline.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I had some dryer problems last month as well. Used the internet to discover the problem. STill had to pay the repair man for the problem!

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home